Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Prince Charles and Prince Harry Sooty and Paki

I can't really make up my mind if Prince Charles and Prince Harry are racist using the terms Sooty and Paki. A bit of me thinks that it's all a bit of a fuss about nothing. But then I suppose it depends on how the people from the Pakistani and Asian community feel about it that is most important.
I read one blog post that makes the point of asking how would Prince Charles or Prince Harry feel if derogatory racist terms were used for them as supposedly "friendly" terms of endearment. Would Prince Charles be happy to be called the white equivalent of Sooty - if his Asian friends referred to Prince Charles as a White Honkey? This is a good point. It's not so much how the term is meant it's more important how the term is perceived by the person being called the name.

No comments: